So I haven’t been playing much music these days as my time is heavily occupied with the magazine & new clothing store I’m launching. Both of which have me spending a lot of time on Tumblr doing promo.
There is a very good chance that Tumblr is not for you. But for me, it’s surprisingly effective. In the meantime, trust me when I say that at the very least, it has made me realize no one has yet codified the easiest way to use Tumblr to increase show attendance in only a few easy steps. So here we go:
Increasing show attendance in 8 easy steps
1. Secure an opening spot for a larger band, even if you have to play for free that day.
2. Invite every friend you know with a camera, the nicer and more talented the better. And pay for their entry if they might not show.
3.Use social media to announce to everyone on your friends lists (band and personal) that you might play a cover by a specific well-known and well-appreciated band, and use the pleas to gauge demand.
4. Play the cover during your live set.
5. Film the resultant crowd reaction; photos and video.
6. Create an animated GIF from the footage.
7. Place lyrics to your songs over the photos and animated GIF, and plaster them everywhere.